Rwanda powers more than two million households

Rwanda powers more than two million households

According to Rwanda Energy Corporation (REG) figures, over two million households in the country now have electricity, including those connected to the national grid, those with solar and other sources.

More than two million grid-connected households, 377 million grid-connected households, and 631 thousand solar-powered households are now in operation.

Since 2010, the number of households with electricity in Rwanda has increased more than sevenfold in the last 12 years, from 10% to 74%, according to August figures this year.

Ron Weiss, CEO of REG, stated there are many projects in the pipeline that will bring Rwanda’s household electricity penetration to 80% in the near future.

These projects will also include the distribution of solar energy to people who live far from government-supported grids at the cost of solar equipment. According to the REG report, more than 116 thousand households received solar power during the fiscal year 2021-2022.

Testimonies from those who have received electricity are dominated by the changes they witnessed and the things they did not expect to see because they live far from the pipes.

Nkombo Sector is one of the Rusizi District Sectors that consists of an island in Lake Kivu. To reach the island, electricity had to be delivered via pipelines built across Lake Kivu. Even though electricity has been delivered for some time, residents continue to express their gratitude.

Nkombo Island is home to Dr. Donatha, who asserts that electricity changed his life. “We were very happy when we got electricity. At first it felt impossible because we live on an island. Now we can see well at home, the children are sleeping well, we can see well in our markets, we are happy”.

Apart from Nkombo Island, Bugarura Island in Rutsiro District has had electricity for some time, and the number of people who have it now exceeds 90%.

According to Rwanda’s electricity distribution plan, by 2024, at least 70% of households will have electricity connected to the public grid, while the remaining 30% will use electricity that is not connected to the public grid, primarily from solar radiation.

Source: Energy Ghana

 

ENERGY GHANA MAGAZINE

Subscribe

Connect with on Facebook