Mubadala Energy announces new gas discovery offshore Malaysia

Mubadala Energy announces new gas discovery offshore Malaysia

Mubadala Energy, an international energy company headquartered in Abu Dhabi, has confirmed the discovery of a high-quality gas reservoir in Block SK320, off the coast of Sarawak province in Malaysia.

According to preliminary analysis, the pinnacle carbonate reef reservoir contains a significant gas column of more than 110 metres.

Mansoor Mohamed Al Hamed, CEO of Mubadala Energy stated, “This discovery further cements our position in Malaysia as a reliable and trusted operator with deep technical capabilities.

“Gas demand in Southeast Asia continues to grow and we look forward to helping meet those energy needs, in line with our strategy to play an active role in the energy transition.”

The Cengkih-1 exploration well is near the Pegaga field, one of the fields in the SK320 Block that recently reached commercial gas production successfully. Following post-drill results that confirmed a larger and higher-quality reservoir, the Pegaga field discovered 1 trillion cubic feet of additional gas initially in place.

These results, which build on Mubadala Energy’s strong position in Malaysia, also support the company’s strategy to expand its position in natural gas as a crucial bridge fuel in the energy transition.

Mubadala Energy operates Block SK320 and holds a 55% stake in the Production Sharing Contract. PETRONAS Carigali Sdn Bhd and Sarawak Shell Berhad own the remaining 45%. Mubadala Energy has made six gas discoveries in Malaysia since 2010, with a success rate of 75%, significantly higher than the industry average.

Source: Energy Ghana

ENERGY GHANA MAGAZINE

Subscribe

Connect with on Facebook